New London Garden Club records
This collection contains materials documenting the administration and work of the New London Garden Club (NLGC). This collection contains minutes, treasure's reports, president's reports, newsletters, clippings, correspondences, promotional materials for events, project files, histories of the organization, photographs and digital files maintained by the members of the organization. The bulk of the materials pertains to the organization and administration of the NLGC. This included minutes and reports by the officers and committees, finances, by-laws, directories of members, and histories of the organization. The materials in the collection also reflect the many projects and events organized by the NLGC. This includes documents related to tree and other civic plantings in New London, the gardens that the NLGC oversaw in New London including those at Shaw’s Mansion, the Caroline Black Garden, and Gardens for Peace. Also included are events like the flower show, luncheons, plant sales, and many other programing conducted by the NLGC. There is also an extensive run of the The Grapevine, the newsletter of the organization from 1991-2013 which documents upcoming events and programs of the organization. The NLGC was a member of the Garden Club of America. They were part of the Zone II committee, the subsection of regional garden clubs in Connecticut and Rhode Island. The collection also documents the committee meetings and programs done by this group.
- New London Garden Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
About the New London Garden Club
The New London Garden Club (NLGC) was founded in 1923 by twelve New London women who were interested in “stimulating the knowledge and love of gardening and horticulture; to aid in the protection of native trees, plants, and birds, and to promote and encourage the beautification of the community.” To meet this objective, the club oversaw several projects including the restoration and the maintenance of several gardens in New London: the gardens at the Shaw Mansion, Hempstead House, and the Old Town Mill as well as civic plantings throughout the city. In 1927, they were a charter member of the Federated Garden Clubs of Connecticut. They helped in the establishment of the Connecticut College Arboretum in 1931 and the Pequot-Sepos Bird Sanctuary in Mystic. After the hurricane of 1938, a tree planting committee was formed and trees were planted along Williams Park and Mohegan Avenue. During the World War II, the NLGC raised funds through garden tours and other programs for various relief organizations. In 1962, they became members of the Garden Club of America. As part of this national group, the NLGC became part of the Zone II delegation, a subset of affiliated Connecticut and Rhode Island Garden Clubs. They contributed to committee work and programs of the Zone II group. Since the 1970s, the group has continued to organize and contribute to public programs and events in New London. They held fund raising events including flower shows, plant sales, luncheons, garden tours that helped fund their civic work. The Club also created programs and locations that focused on conservation and ecology. They also contributed monthly flower arrangements to the Lyman Allyn Art Museum, created and maintained creation of memorial gardens and plantings throughout the city.
7.42 Linear Feet (5 cartons and 1 oversize box)
This collection has been minimally processed with materials grouped into the following five series: Administrative materials, Minutes and reports, Programs and events, Publications and publicity, and Audiovisual materials.
- Inventory of the New London Garden Club records
- In Progress
- Rose Oliveira
- December 2019
- Description rules
- Language of description