Connecticut College for Men Records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the administrative files for Connecticut College for Men, including incorporation documentation (charter, bylaws, articles of incorporation); correspondence; minutes from the Board of Trustees; and committee meeting minutes and reports.
This collection is open to researchers.
In 1958, Connecticut College for Women began investigating the possibility of expanding the College’s graduate program to male students. Although the College had enrolled men since the late thirties under “special student” status (those seeking to fulfill prerequisites for other institutions or to supplement or advance their careers), the awarding of degrees to male graduates wasn’t given serious consideration until the 1950s, when local manufacturers and industrial production facilities Pfizer, Dow Chemical Company, and General Dynamics approached the College, looking for opportunities for advanced study for the college-educated men and women they employed.
Though interest on both sides was strong, the effort was soon met by a major stumbling block – the College’s charter restricted the granting of degrees to women. Rather than amending the original charter, which would have necessitated a name change, the College instead petitioned the state legislature to charter a separate institution, Connecticut College for Men, on June 2, 1959. Connecticut College for Men opened to its first class in the fall semester of 1959, sharing its faculty, facilities, and two-thirds of the Board of Trustees with Connecticut College for Women, which also managed finances, admissions, and salaries.
Together with Connecticut College for Women, Connecticut College for Men was incorporated under the title Connecticut College in 1969, after the decision to move to coeducation was made.
0.209 Linear Feet (1 Half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Correspondence, meeting minutes and reports, and incorporation documentation of Connecticut College for Men, 1959-1969.
Organized chronologically in a single series.
One folder (“Connecticut College for Men, 1959”) collected by Gertrude Noyes in preparation for her manuscript, A History of Connecticut College. Remaining material from the papers of Warrine Eastburn, Rosemary Park, and Charles Shain; transfer date unknown.
Elizabeth Marolda, July 2005; updated by Rebecca Parmer, 2014.
- Guide to the Connecticut College for Men Records, 1948-1969
- Amber Pero
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Linda Lear Center for Special Collections and Archives Repository
270 Mohegan Ave
New London CT 06320 United States